COVID-19 and the Heritage Railway scene

This is quite a hastily written article I'm afraid, so I will make it short as I need to broach the subject. This will affect this blog and the rail industry as a whole. I is a sad state of affairs that must be addressed. For railfans like myself things are going to be a little tricky over the coming months. I have planned some articles on popular locations however due to the restrictions on travel in the UK these are temporarily on hold. This is sad not only for myself, but many lines will be suffering from a lack of revenue. Little support is expected from the government to keep our heritage railways going and it may need to come down to us as a group. As many sites have had to cancel their spring and summer itinerary, a serious drop in the yearly revenue could potentially close some railways.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to continue working and receiving a wage. But I do understand there are many who are not in such a fortunate position.

What I will ask of those that can is to drop a few pennies into the donation boxes some groups have set up. It might not seem like much, but a larger community effort might help them through these dark times. Links can be found on UKSteam for most of the sites, of which there are too many to list here.

But as a community we can see each other through to the other side. 


The sun will shine again.


Comments